Thursday, January 31, 2008

A question was posed to me. Where did you get your sense of style? I thought and thought and thought. And the answer came to me like a ton of bricks.

I was in the 11th grade, and what clothing i had came from my cousin buying them for me. I was adopted by my cousin, who received a monthly allowance type deal for me. So she pretty much got me the bear minimum of everything. 2 pairs of shoes, a few shirts and a few pairs of jeans. I was active in choir and youth group with my church. My choir's organization decided to have a formal event. Now at the time I didn't know what formal was. Here i was in the 11th grade and didn't know what formal dress was. I mean i knew prom gear..but that was prom ya know? So I go to my cousin ask her for money..she says she's strapped for cash, which was strange to me considering she got almost 400 a month for me in cash and another 250 in stamps but whatever! So that meant I had to go to grand mom. Now, when i was younger and i needed something I'd go to my grandfather..because i was the baby girl..and baby girl got what she wanted. Not saying I didn't get what i wanted from my granny but ya know..i needed and explanation. My grandfather passed my sophomore year in high school..so i had to go to the woman herself. She asked me how much I thought I needed and did i know what i was buying. Me being very simple minded in nature, figured I can get something @ Gallo's (yes the 10 dollar store) My grandmother gave me 50bucks and told me to be out. Now it didn't dawn on me to ask what formal dress was, but ya know teens. I go to Gallo's. I'll never forget it. It was on the cusp of winter/spring and all the stores had their spring stuff out. I picked up this black dress with big tropical flowers on it..it was a halter! I got earrings and a bracelet, some shoes and some stockings. When i was younger i was a stickler for leg coverage. I was super excited to wear my outfit and I was rather proud of myself. The day of the event came, I rushed home to get dressed. I thought i looked cute. I did my hair and wore a lil burgundy lipstick(u know this was erry teens lip color when it came to make up..then..in 1993) I caught the bus to the NAACP Headquarters in Bmore where we had the dinner and awards ceremony. I walkesd up in the spot and looked at everyone and here i am in my rinky dink dress with a nike wind breaker over it. I felt and looked a hot ass mess compared to everyone else. I received several awards that night but refused to stand and get them because I was so self conscious. It was from that moment on i vowed that I would make myself familiar with fashion..anything and everything that had to do with it. I'd have the correct coat to wear with a dress. I'd have more than 2 pairs of shoes. A little piece of me knows this is why I have so much clothing...many shoes and purses.

1 Comments:

At 4:47 AM , Blogger -kae said...

this is why i have 40+ watches...i had one of those rinky dinky calculator watches on with a suit when i was in high school and my TEACHER clowned me hard.

never again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home