Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Can I come up for air ?

Without going too in depth it seems that every time i clear one hurdle
the next hurdle appears bigger..larger...and sometimes I just want to lay down...forever.. At what point does one stop struggling to prove their place in life? I just feel I've struggled in some sort of way throughout my entire life. I'm trying to keep my head above water but it's a bit hard to wade when your hands are tied.



Artist: Amel Larrieux
Album: Morning
Year: 2006
Title: Gills And Tails

i looked at my reflection in the water
thought what an unlikely pair
closed my eyes, held my breath, plummeted down,down,down
and anchored myself there

can't tell how long i've been
in the company of gills and tails
i think i feel my skin
growing scales

chorus
can i come up for air
can i come up, can come up
(repeat 3x)

i'm gettin' eaten up down here
i'm just not built like them
the big fish have a monopoly
the little fish get buried in the sand

this here world i'm in
sucks your life out, leaves you comatose
take back your salt and fins
send me a lifeboat

chorus

i look up at longing at the surface
hypnotized by the way the sunlight seems to ride each ripple
and they do a dance
every ray becomes a beckoning hand
i miss the sweet taste of oxygen
i mistook this for the promised land

chorus

2 Comments:

At 5:02 AM , Blogger Carls said...

Awww, Lady what's wrong???

Not to make jokes...but the part "it's a bit hard to wade when you your hands tied." Made me think of a time I had to hold a brick over my head and tread water for 5 to 10 minutes. That was hard stuff.

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger rashad said...

At the risk of sounding like a misguided militant, the struggle never stops Sha that's a fact. the way you deal with the struggle is what will make or break you. so don't let it break you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home